Being pregnant for the first time, there are so many scenarios that go through your head about what to expect when you go in labor. I read the books, researched the internet, and talked to friends and family about their experiences, one thing I noticed, they were all different, not one the same! Now I like to think of myself as a person that goes with the flow but I know that's not true all the time. I do have a hard time with change, every now and then. I was absolutely freaked out. I didn't know if every pain I felt was a contraction, or if I was going to sleep through the signs. Now I look back on my anxiety and laugh at myself...sleeping through labor...YEAH RIGHT! hehehe! Now I know better!
Now even though It was a little over a year ago, the morning Ashlyn was born is still so vivid in my mind. For those of you that might not know the story here is a little recap of that day!
I woke up at exactly 3:30am on that Friday morning with pains, very consistent pains. After about 30 mins I woke Derek up and told him to start packing the car and getting ready, we were going to have a baby! Then the next 15 mins were so....wow I can't think of one word to sum it up but...I was so scared, nervous, excited, happy...emotional! I remember being in extreme pain while trying to get myself ready to head to the hospital (in between excruciating contractions). They just seemed to get closer and closer. At about 4:40am, I ran to the car and yelled at Derek to hurry up...the nicest I could, of course ;) On the way to the hospital my contractions started to be 4 mins apart, then 3, then 2 minutes. By the time we arrived at the hospital I was having contractions one on top of the other. I was rushed off to the labor and delivery room and Ashlyn was born at 6:44am. (Sparing you of all the screaming and gorey details...you can thank me later! ;) )
But...It was love at first sight!


Going into the hospital, Derek and I had not chosen a name for our bouncing baby girl, however it only took us less than 5 minutes after meeting her to give her her name...Ashlyn Marie. We chose the name Ashlyn because we knew we wanted a name that started with an 'A'. Derek also did some research and found that Ashlyn was from Gaelic heritage. For those of you that don't know, Derek's family is mainly Irish. (The way we spelled it is not the traditional way but we thought it was the easiest way) We chose Marie because it is my middle name as well as my mom's middle name. We figured we might as well continue the tradition!
The days that followed were definitely an adjustment for us and the dogs, but we did have a lot of family and friends stopping by to feed us, and make sure we were doing well! Thank you for that!
This past year has absolutely, hands down, been the best year! I know I have changed as a person and so has Derek. It's amazing that such a small little baby has a power to change and touch so many lives. She has put a smile on our faces every single day! Even if Derek or I have a rough day we are always guaranteed to have a smile and a giggle from Miss Ashlyn, which makes all of our problems disappear!
With that being said, I would like all of our family and friends that are near and far. We are so lucky to have such wonderful family and friends to celebrate this amazing addition to our family. It just showed us that we have the best support system any two parents could ask for. So thank you for everything!
No comments:
Post a Comment