I will, again, be blogging but not just the happenings of our little family. I have decided that I will be homeschooling our children. My husband and I didn't come to this decision lightly. We have been reading, researching, asking friends, family, neighbors, fellow teachers all of our questions and I think Derek and I made an educated decision based on the best fit for our family.
Being a teacher, you see the public schools first-hand. You do the very best that you can. I sacrificed weekends, evenings, time with my kids & husband, date nights, girls night out, etc. to make sure my students got the very best from me. All in the meantime, being forced to teach to the state standardized test and collect DATA ( the new four letter word). Teaching to any test is AGAINST my philosophy and treating the kids as data is too.
But I have one HUGE problem. I LOVE teaching, but I HATE all the time it took away from my family. So, I combined what I love doing and my family, HOMESCHOOL.
Unlike some families, we are not doing this for religious reasons and we are not doing this as a way to "go-easy" on our children. In fact, that's the complete opposite.
I want to PUSH my kids in a direction they can and will be successful. They will not just pushed along through our public or charter school systems. I want to take what they love and explore it (not just read about it through a text book or a video). I want them to learn different languages. (Yes, languages with an s ).
| Practicing Lacing |
| Weekly Field Trip to the Superstition Farm |
| Field Trip to the Children's Museum of Phoenix |
| Logan practicing his Calendar Time |
The new blog with be about our family but also about my journey (the good and the bad)! This may last one year or maybe for 13 years but you will find out how and why right here!
No comments:
Post a Comment